Vegetables in cakes. Cakes made of vegetables. Somehow it works.
This blog post is an easy recipe to make sweet potato chocolate brownies. It took about an hour to make, including prep time, and they have gone down pretty well served with Swedish Glace vegan ice cream.
2 medium sized mashed sweet potatoes – I microwaved them first then removed the skins and mashed them
60 grams butter (I used dairy but you can easily use nut or soy butter to make the brownies vegan)
1 tbsp maple syrup (substitute with honey, golden syrup as desired)
20g cocoa powder
20g dark choc chips
- Microwave or cook the sweet potatoes. Peel off skin when cooled and then mash to a lumpy pulp.
- Melt butter on a low heat and add the maple syrup.
- Mix cocoa powder and choc chips together. Add to mashed sweet potato and mix well – make sure the potato is thoroughly mashed.
- Add butter and syrup and mix.
- Spread batter into a pan on grease proof paper and cook for about half an hour.
The mixture is very dense and won’t rise as this recipe does not use flour.
Once brownies have cooled, store in the fridge for a short while.